List Price: $12.99
Sale Price: $10.89
Today's Bonus: 16% Off
I got these colors and another color pack from a different source. I was excited to finally experiment with a patina that would work on metal, since a lot of my work is metal.
But no. These are not patinas. These are paints. No matter how thinly I applied the product (which, by the way, can be thinned with water you don't need their special sealer/extender) I was painting on the metal. Even after drying it with a hairdryer, because I don't like to wait and then sanding it lightly, it just looked like painted metal. Check out the examples Ranger shows on their websites, as I should have done before ordering.
Oh, and don't be persuaded into getting their special finishing pad, or whatever they call it. It's just fine sandpaper. I used steel wool, fine sandpaper and even an emery board in my experiments, and they all worked fine.
But the pieces still looked like they'd been painted.
Click Here For Most Helpful Customer Reviews >>
These Vintaj Patinas are opaque inks that have been specially formulated to adhere to metal. Unlike Ranger's alcohol inks, these newly developed patinas don't require sealing in order to last.They create colorful, interesting "patina" finishes on metal jewelry pieces such as Vintaj as well as any other type of metalwork. I personally feel that these Vintaj patinas have more of a painted look since they have a satin finish. To me, they look a bit more like enameled or even cloisonné finishes. For those projects that you'd prefer a more-authentic matte patina look, I'd suggest the product Sophisticated Finishes. While a bit more expensive, it has a more realistic patina finish to it. This Vintaj product is lovely for certain projects, though.
This particular set, Weathered Copper, includes three 0.5 oz bottles in the colors (moss, verdigris, jade) that would supposedly make up that bluish-green patina that naturally occurs on real copper over time. In my opinion, the hues they chose are much too vivid. For instance, one of them (jade) is a bright kelly green. As far as how to use them, you can apply them in layers, light glazes, mix them, mottle them, or just use one or two colors singly...make it your own.
These patinas are easy to use. Simply brush on with a clean artist paintbrush. You can apply it full strength for a more opaque look or else thin it with Vintaj Glaze/Sealer. This glaze can be used as an extender by mixing 1 part patina ink with 3-4 parts glaze. Colors can be mixed and mottled for interesting effects. The inks dry quickly (15-20 minutes). After drying, you can buff over the raised areas of the metal piece to uncover the metallic elements of the design. For buffing, you can use the Vintaj Relief Block or you can improvise. My block wore out so I just wrapped fine and superfine sandpaper around small wooden blocks -worked fine. I think you could probably also use one of those fingernail buffing/filing blocks.
These patina inks don't require sealing, but if you do the sanding relief afterwards to enhance the metal underneath, it's a good idea to use the sealer to prevent the shiny metal from darkening later.
*TIPS: Patina inks dry quickly, but will dry more quickly if metal is heated before application. You can also speed drying after painting by using heat gun or blowdryer. Brushes can be washed with soap and water...but do so fairly quickly or your brushes will be ruined.
Best Deals for Ranger VPKR-34827 Vintaj Patina Weathered Copper Kit, 0.5-Ounce
This product looks nothing like a patina. It looks like paint from your craft store that is used on fabric and wood. Not at all what I expected when it said "patina".Wish I could return these products.
No comments:
Post a Comment